Everyone wants to be a winner. Let’s not confuse this with how competitive some are. No, not everyone likes to compete. But we all like to win. We all want to succeed.
When did you experience the joy that comes with this? Was it as you received admission to your preferred college? When you received the job offer you were expecting? Or when your football team won their game? We have all won at something in our lives, and we love the feeling.
Where does this urge to win come from? Scientists believe the pleasure-stimulating neurochemical dopamine is responsible.
Yes, beating your friend in a game and excelling in a test gives you bragging rights. Your body also rewards you with a feel-good sensation for winning.
What other benefits are there to winning?
Winning boosts our confidence. With this boost, it’s easier to win again in similar situations. From the looks of it, even nature supports our drive to succeed.
While this desire is inherent to us, it is not always easy to meet. It is because some challenges are more complex to overcome than others.
One of the biggest challenges we face is how to succeed in life.
Put another way, how to win at life. Sad to say, there is no one size fits all formula for overcoming this challenge. The reason for this is simple. It’s because success looks different to everyone.
Yet there are general principles we can all apply to achieve this.
Practice these essential strategies to win in life:
- Set clear goals. A runner cannot win a race unless he knows where the finish line is. Likewise, without establishing what success means, you may struggle to find it. That is why you need a definite goal.
- You’ll know exactly where you are to head and what it will take to reach there. When we work toward goals, we are working with purpose. And when we reach them, it will count as a win for us.
- Create winning habits. Habits are nature’s way to help you make sustained progress. They make some behaviors easier to repeat by automating them. Once you establish the habit, you’ll do the action without much effort. These are a few of the many habits we can leverage to achieve success in life:
- Developing habits that will help you achieve your goals will make it easier. These habits can help you smash your goals and win in life.
- With regards to organization, be systematic, plan, set priorities, and arrange things like your schedule well.
- Personal care means taking good care of yourself and paying attention to your health.
- Frugality isn’t the same as stinginess. It’s being thrifty with money and resources and spending with prudence when the time calls for it.
- Don’t fear making mistakes. If you are to succeed, you cannot be afraid to fail. When you make mistakes, ask yourself what went wrong. What did you learn from it? What will you do differently next time? We must make mistakes and learn from them to win in life.
- Before we can learn from our mistakes, though, we need to accept them. It’s important to take responsibility for our actions. Winners don’t make excuses, and they find solutions. Understanding and accepting our errors contribute to us finding success in life.
- Be willing to learn something new every day. Never stop learning new things throughout your life. There are so many advantages to this. For example, it keeps your mind sharp and reduces the risk of diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Also, it provides you with intriguing topics to discuss with others and updates you on what is going on. Besides all this, you will have so much fun when you learn about things that interest you.
If, as the saying goes, knowledge is power, then learning is the key to gaining control. You’ll find that power will help you succeed at most things in life.
Winning isn’t new to you. You’ve already done so in many aspects of your life. When you work to apply the principles discussed, you’ll continue to do so now. And in the end, you’ll not only look back and see a life well-lived, but ultimately, a life well won.
This concludes our training for today. In the battle for a better life? We invite you to advance your personal development and financial literacy education by subscribing to Battle Call Academy. Get access to resources that will help you elevate your financial IQ, enhance internal / external communication skills, and create a prosperous outlook.
Until next time: God bless, stay positive, and be true to you.